Cochrane Eyes and Vision Group (CEVG) systematic review activity on posterior segment treatments
The following list presents the current evidence on back of the eye treatments, as well as reviews which are planned or underway. All Cochrane reviews and protocols are completed using strict methodology and are peer-reviewed at both protocol and review stage. They are published in The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, one of several databases in The Cochrane Library.
A published review follows a structured format detailing, among other things, methods used, inclusion/exclusion criteria, search strategies for finding randomised controlled trials, and metaanalysis (where performed). CEVG-published reviews relevant to back of the eye treatments are:
- Antioxidant vitamin and mineral supplements for age-related macular degeneration
- Antioxidant vitamin and mineral supplements for preventing age-related macular degeneration
- Ginkgo Biloba extract for age-related macular degeneration
- Interventions for acute central retinal artery occlusion
- Interventions for asymptomatic retinal breaks and lattice degeneration for preventing retinal detachment
- Laser photocoagulation for choroidal neovascularisation in pathologic myopia
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents for treating cystoid macular oedema following cataract surgery
- Photodynamic therapy for neovascular agerelated macular degeneration
- Radiotherapy for exudative age-related macular degeneration.
A published protocol outlines the background, rationale and methods of the review. CEVG published protocols relevant to back of the eye treatments are:
- Antiangiogenic therapy with anti-VEGF modalities for neovascular age-related macular degeneration
- Haemodilution treatment for retinal vein occlusion
- Interventions for acute retinal necrosis
- Intravitreal steroids for macular oedema in diabetes
- Laser photocoagulation for neovascular agerelated macular degeneration
- Surgical implantation of steroids with antiangiogenic characteristics for treating exudative macular degeneration.
A working title is a protocol in progress prior to being submitted for publication. Working titles dealing with back of the eye treatments currently registered with CEVG are:
- Acupuncture for age-related macular degeneration
- Blood pressure control for the management of diabetic retinopathy
- Calcium dobesilate for diabetic retinopathy
- Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors for cystoid macular oedema
- Chinese herbal treatment for diabetic retinopathy
- Fish oils and vitamin A for hereditary retinal disease
- Intravitreal steroid for retinal vein occlusion
- Laser photocoagulation for retinal vein occlusion
- Laser treatment for diabetic retinopathy
- Laser treatment of drusen in age-related macular degeneration
- Pars plana vitrectomy for diabetic macular oedema
- Pharmacotherapy for preventing proliferative vitreoretinopathy in retinal detachment surgery
- Statins for age-related macular degeneration
- Sub-threshold laser treatment for diabetic maculopathy
- Surgical interventions for repairing simple rhegmatogenous retinal detachments
- Tamponade in surgery for retinal detachment associated with proliferative vitreoretinopathy
- Traditional Chinese medicine for retinitis pigmentosa.
CEVG invites people from around the world interested in preparing a review on the following titles that do not have authors. Available titles for CEVG reviews in the area of back of the eye treatments are:
- Interventions for cytomegalovirus retinitis
- Sub-macular surgery for age-related macular degeneration.
Access to Cochrane systematic reviews
The Cochrane Library is available by subscription, either on CD-ROM or via the internet. Residents in a number of countries, including Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, can access the Library free of charge through a ‘national provision’. Higher Education and Further Education residents can access the Library using an Athens password.
You can either visit the CEVG website at www.cochraneeyes.org or email Anupa Shah, Review Group Co-ordinator at [email protected]