5 key steps to developing a glaucoma service
This article by Fatima Kyari, Ophthalmologist/Senior Lecturer at the College of Health Sciences, University of Abuja, Nigeria, proposes a ‘top-down’ approach to developing glaucoma services with an initial focus on developing good quality sub-speciality services at the tertiary level, followed by strengthening of secondary eye care (at district level) and then implementation of strategies for the early detection of glaucoma.
The 5 key steps to help achieve this are:
- Strengthen tertiary eye care units to provide a good standard of glaucoma services
- Strengthen secondary centres (at district level) to manage less complex cases
- Develop glaucoma case-detection strategies at the secondary and primary levels
- Provide low vision and rehabilitation services
- Increase awareness of glaucoma among policy makers and the public
All activities to achieve each step must be based on good evidence.