Eritrea job opportunity
The Fred Hollows Foundation is looking for two consultant ophtalmologists to work in Eritrea
- 2 positions – Mendefera and Barentu locations
- 24 month contract with possibility of extension
- Capacity building focus
The Eritrean Ministry of Health, in partnership with The Fred Hollows Foundation, is seeking two Consultant Ophthalmologists to strengthen the Eritrean eye health service delivery systems. You will support district eye health workers to develop their surgical, clinical and management skills, as well as complete surgery when required.
These roles play an important part in the Eritrean Government’s commitment to achieving the VISION2020 strategy of eliminating avoidable blindness, supported by The Fred Hollows Foundation. You will interact with The Fred Hollows Foundation initiatives in Eritrea, namely the cataract surgeons training and trachoma projects. Based in a district hospital in either Mendefera or Barentu, with travel required.
The successful candidates will have:
- three years MD residency in ophthalmology from a reputed institution
- extensive demonstrated ophthalmic surgical and clinical experience
- registration with the National Medical Council for Practicing Ophthalmology
- experience as a trainer for cataract surgeries, including small incision cataract surgery
- commitment to patient centred, quality services and the data collection and analysis required to provide the evidence base for these services
- training in other relevant ophthalmic subspecialties
- an understanding of working and training conditions in developing countries and the flexibility to work in challenging contexts is highly desirable
- excellent interpersonal and communications skills and a commitment to collaboration
- the ability to bring energy and enthusiasm to the development of eye health services in Eritrea
- the ability to obtain the appropriate working visa for Eritrea
You will contribute your expertise for 5½ days per week and in return we will provide competitive salary conditions including:
- Annual return airfare to home country
- Professional development opportunities
- Emergency medical expatriation insurance cover
- Contribution to relocation expenses
The contract is for 24 months with the possibility of extension.
How to apply & who to contact
Apply via the Fred Hollows website. Please upload a cover letter addressing all areas expressed in the ‘experience, skills & attributes’ section of the Job Description and your resume.
If you would like further information please call Shiree Thomas, Recruitment Specialist on + 61 (02) 8741 1962 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close: These vacancies will remain open until the positions are filled.