Five ages of the surgeon!
1. The trainee wants to be a surgeon: enthusiasm and anxiety
IF ONLY I CAN DO IT!
2. The trainee succeeds; a surgeon is born: the adrenaline flows
I CAN DO IT!!
3. A few years on, ‘In my hands, success rate of 98%’. The confidence of the experienced surgeon; reluctance to let others do the job not so well:
ONLY I CAN DO IT
Many surgeons do not progress beyond this stage.
4. Then in time, a feeling that something more is needed:
IF ONLY I CAN DO IT . . .
then there is a problem when I’m gone. Perhaps somebody needs to train a few more surgeons . . .
5. At last the realisation that training is my responsibility. Seeing the need and being willing to train others.
IF I CAN DO IT, SO CAN YOU!!
The surgeon is ‘born again’.