World Sight Day: 9 October 2003
‘Tool Kit Prevents Blindness Worldwide’
This year World Sight Day will be celebrated by the launch of a ‘Government Tool Kit’ which provides information and guidance on developing, implementing and evaluating VISION 2020 National Prevention of Blindness Plans. This free interactive CD-ROM has been produced in response to the acceptance of the VISION 2020: The Right to Sight Resolution at the 56th World Health Assembly in May 2003.
The ‘Tool Kit’ will be launched around the world and as a Patron of VISION 2020, Her Royal Highness, the Countess of Wessex, will take part in an event in London on World Sight Day.
World Sight Day 2003 aims to raise awareness of the fact that 80 per cent of blindness is avoidable, and by successfully implementing the VISION 2020 initiative, 100 million people will be prevented from going blind.
With the world’s focus on Blindness Prevention, World Sight Day provides an opportunity to secure support from people around the world by encouraging them to ‘Sign Up for Sight’. VISION 2020 aims to collect over 20 million signatures by the year 2020 to show governments and decision makers the degree of international support for investment in tackling avoidable blindness. Please sign our Declaration of Support at your local event or online at www.v2020.org.
World Sight Day is coordinated by the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness (IAPB) and the World Health Organization (WHO). It is supported by organizations, including UN agencies, governments, eye care organizations, health professionals, philanthropic institutions and individuals working together in a global partnership – to eliminate avoidable blindness by the year 2020.
News and notices in Comm Eye Health Vol. 16 No. 47 2003 –
- Three Companion Books at 20% Discount
- A warm welcome to Victoria and many thanks to Murray
- The Epidemiology of Eye Disease, Second Edition
- Management priorities in eye care delivery in Africa
- Seventh General Assembly of IAPB – NEW DATES
- World Sight Day: 9 October 2003
- Sri Lanka Eye Foundation: Booklets in English, Sinhala & Tamil
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists: examination calendar 2003/2004 (UK & overseas)
- Book Review. A Textbook of Clinical Ophthalmology
- Authors’ abstracts