Comm Eye Health Vol. 30 No. 97 2017 pp 20. Published online 12 May 2017.
In this Issue – Key community eye health messages
Managing your own information and resources is an important element of keeping up to date.
- Keep a paper diary or use an app
- Compile your own library of useful articles or web links
- Write down useful advice or tips from others
- Use digital alerts to stay up to date
- Keep all those CPD certificates!
Continuing to learn is good for our patients and eye health professionals
- Produces positive change in the participant’s practice
- Instils confidence and self-esteem
- Facilitates the efficiency, effectiveness and quality of the eye care team
- Assures the best outcomes for the maximum number of patients
- Improves access to high quality eye care globally
Professional organisations have a responsibility to support and implement CPD by being aware that:
- CPD is a priority and directly leads to improved patient care
- All the relevant staff should be involved in CPD activities
- Learning outcomes should be defined at the start
- Barriers to learning must be overcome e.g.introducing practical demonstrations or role play
- Good communication with staff should be a priority