Primary eye health care
The majority of eye conditions can be dealt with at primary health care level – in the communities where people live and work. However, eye care is often missing or not integrated at this level of health care. This issue of the Community Eye Health Journal shares best practices and approaches for integrating eye care within primary health care and includes practical suggestions for eye health promotion and how eye health workers at district or secondary level (and above) can support their colleagues in the primary care sector. We would like to encourage everyone reading this issue to share its contents with policy makers at all levels so they are aware of the need for primary eye care and what they can do to support it.
Articles in this issue –
- Primary eye health care: the foundation for universal access to eye health
- Why is primary eye health care needed?
- What is primary eye health care?
- Delivering eye health promotion: why and how
- How China is responding to the challenge of myopia
- The role of secondary level eye care teams in engaging with and supporting primary eye care
- Implementing an integrated primary eye care programme in Rwanda
- How policy makers can support primary eye health care
- Policies for primary eye health care in Nigeria: a case study
- Primary eye health care: what do young children need?
- Including eye care in the Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (IMCI) programme in Bangladesh
- Primary eye care: the WHO perspective
- Data integration into national health information systems: the Ethiopia national trachoma control programme
From our South Asia Edition –
- Delivering primary eye care in the 21st century
- Ensuring primary eye care at the school level: a national eye care initiative in Bangladesh
- Primary eye care through vision centres—key to universal eye health
- Promoting technology-enabled primary eye care in South-East Asia
- Primary eye care model in India
- Strategies to improve delivery of primary eye care in public health care institutions in Sri Lanka
- Integrating primary eye care with primary health care: tracing the journey
- Primary eye care in Bhutan: achievements and challenges
- Primary eye care in Nepal: current situation and recommendations for integration